Thursday, August 30, 2007

Review - Archelaus Hosken's Dilemma

Archelaus Hosken's Dilemma
by F J Warren
Paperback: 112 pages
Publisher: Exposure Publishing (June 18, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1846858194
ISBN-13: 978-1846858192

Archelaus Hosken's Dilemma is a quick read. It's also sweet, lovable, readable, and fun. It didn't take too long for me to feel I was reading Dickens, but a more entertaining Dickens. Sure don't want to put you off on that. F J Warren has a knack for the 19th Century style. Set in 1808, the story follows the intrepid Archie when he is both saved (from the noose) and condemned (to marriage) all within days. His Dilemma is how to handle a firebrand wife who controls his every move and (of course) the money. Leave her and he faces gaol if not hanging. Stay and he faces a harridan the rest of his life. As it turns out, his dilemma is solved but in a surprising way. No, I won't tell you because I'm sure you'll enjoy reading the book and finding out for yourself. I'm making it my reviewing policy to not award five stars to any books, so Warren's book gets my top rating of four stars. I'll knock off the one star for some typos, okay? There's certainly nothing wrong with the plot (darling), writing (workmanlike), or typography (nice wide gutter so you don't have to break the book's spine).

2 comments:

  1. Than one sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marva,

    FJ here! Thanks for posting this. How do you find the time to do it all - I'm out of breath just reading it. Btw I'm using my fjwarren@googlemail.com to post this because it is easier.
    However, I don't normally answer emails on it if I can't recognise the sender. Please don't be offended if you do email and don't get a reply. Put it down to paranoia!!

    ReplyDelete