Saturday, December 18, 2010

Totally Cool Stuff

An 11,000 year old temple in Turkey. So much for that 6000 year stuff.

National Geographic Gobekli Tepe Temple
Six miles from Urfa, an ancient city in southeastern Turkey, Klaus Schmidt has made one of the most startling archaeological discoveries of our time: massive carved stones about 11,000 years old, crafted and arranged by prehistoric people who had not yet developed metal tools or even pottery. The megaliths predate Stonehenge by some 6,000 years. The place is called Gobekli Tepe, and Schmidt, a German archaeologist who has been working here more than a decade, is convinced it's the site of the world's oldest temple.
I worked with a few born-agains who said that dinosaurs were God's way of, um, tricking us? It's totally incomprehensible, not to mention nonsensical. Any time I talk to these people, I ask them where the unicorns and dragons are (Job). They keep saying that God is trying to fool us, test our faith, etc. What kind of egomanical, yet insecure God would do that?

I will not state that there is no God, but I will state categorically that the god these people believe in is a mythological prevarication (I'm using big words so they won't know what I'm saying).

Sorry to deviate from my 'ews' theme. Well, maybe not. There is always confews.

No comments:

Post a Comment