Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Breaking My Own Rules

I don't have many rules for this blog, but since it's mainly a vehicle for middle-grade and young adult books, I ask my visitors to keep their excerpts no hotter than PG-13. I only have one book which ranges into R-rated territory. That book is "Ultimate Duty."

Why are there sex scenes in this book? I added these specifically to test the waters of the science fiction romance (SFR) genre. In the plot's original form (a YA book titled "First Duty"), my main character is attracted to a couple of the men in the story, but nothing goes any further than a kiss.

In checking through the genre, I realized that readers of SFR were rarely young adults. The kids who like SF, wanted hard SF, which had nothing whatsoever to do with sexual organs, but with a lot good ol' science stuff.

While I have read and loved science fiction since my teens, I was an English major--specifically, documentation mixed with computer science classes. I knew about black holes, warp drives, alien worlds via my SF reading, not through taking classes in the sciences. Yes, I did the usual required courses, but beyond that I can tell you a lot about Shakespeare, Henry James, Mark Twain, John Updike, and even a mix of beat poets like Lawrence Ferlinghetti or Alan Ginsberg (if you don't know about "Howl," just look him up).

I know just enough science to be a menace writing science fiction. Without that solid science background presented by the likes of Robert Heinlein, Isacc Asimov, Arthur C. Clark, and the passel of more contemporary science fiction writers, I had nothing to offer that couldn't be picked apart by any decently nerdy SF reader.

That left sex as my only possible value add-on to attract readers. Hey, I've been having sex for longer than most of you have been alive, so I must know something, right? First: research. Did I really know enough about sex to write it? Apparently not, but I could probably fake it.

Ten books under my belt and only one has semi-explicit sex scenes. I think that was enough for me. After that, I'd certainly be repeating myself.

Check out ULTIMATE DUTY on Amazon for $3.99. If you wanted a free copy, you missed your chance by not commenting on the Giveaway post on Feb. 1st. You could comment on this one, and I might give away a copy or two.

Now here's a sex scene excerpt. I won't even warn off children. They need to learn about it somewhere.

Excerpt

A tender hand with rough calluses stroked Remy’s side from shoulder to hip. Her eyes fluttered open as she rolled to face her lover. She purred deep in her throat when Kiru pulled her close and kissed her neck. She felt her carotid artery pulsing under his touch. He whispered, “The smallest pressure here, if held a few seconds, will render your opponent unconscious.”

“Yes, Sensei, but I hope that’s not your intent,” Remy replied with a wink.

He smoothed her still-damp red hair. “Not at all, chan. It is difficult to leave my teaching self outside the bedroom door.”

Remy inhaled his scent, musky with a hint of cinnamon. “My student self appreciates all the education you are willing to give.” Remy touched her forehead to his. “Whether the art be battle or love.”

Kiru enfolded Remy in his arms, pulled her close, then lifted her in one smooth motion on top of his body. He entered her, and she snapped upright, throwing her head back with a gasp. She reveled in his delicate touch, as he caressed her breasts, belly, thighs. Sighing, she leaned down to kiss him.

1 comment:

  1. There is a lot of stuff to write about besides sex! (Sexless termites, e.g.) My principal (published) venture in to sex is in The Termite Queen, but unfortunately you didn't like my protagonist (sigh!) But I tend to keep sex under the covers and concentrate on the relationship and the psychology. I never read books with a lot of explicit sex - I don't enjoy it. If it has a major function in the plot, as in Monster Is in the Eye of the Beholder, that's different. And as for science, apparently it's not that hard to fake, because I haven't yet have anybody complain about any of my science! You do have to do some research.to make the fictional physics convincing, and to get the real science right, such as my ventures into insect physiology.

    ReplyDelete