Saturday, August 13, 2016

Book Review - Silicon Man by William Massa

Silicon Man (Silicon World #1)Silicon Man by William Massa
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm reading in the 3-book box set, but will review this one separately because I might not read the others (or not anytime soon).

I really like William Massa's writing. He's a real pro. I liked this book well enough. I cannot fault anything technically wrong. It's me, not you, William. I just don't buy your main character's (both of them) background, motivations, and behavior.

First, I don't think the supposedly professional AI-TAC trooper could possibly assign blame to an AI (cyber person) for the death of his wife and daughter. He has an entrenched belief that AIs are just machines, but somehow he can work up a desire for revenge against a specific AI? It just doesn't make sense to me. If a horse kicked your kid to death, does it make sense to 1) take revenge on all horses or 2) hunt down the specific horse to exact revenge upon it? Maybe the second, but the first motive is senseless.

Then, the method he's conned into to exact this nonsensical revenge is even sillier. Going undercover by becoming the thing you hate doesn't make sense to me either.

Anyway, if I get past the basic premise and just read the story, it's very good. That's why four stars. I'm not letting my own opinion of the far-fetched storyline condemn an excellent read for all those people who really haven't a clue of why I feel this way.

So, hate the basis, loved the book in all other ways.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment